Saturday, December 15, 2007

Carrot juice

I pour the last drop of coffee into my tiny cup, in preparation for a night of major academic endeavours, while outside it gets dark and cold. Marc's electric heater is again doing its best in the futile fight against the large, thin windows and I take comfort in the idea that someone might read this and create a mental connection between our lives that otherwise run parallel without touching.

[A small, but significant correction to the last entry: my tent-dwelling neighbours are not Bedouin, but Gypsies, which, although it makes little difference to me, is quite something else: I don't think Gypsies are seen with much respect anywhere in the world, but here, they constitute a class far below that of the Bedu... in fact, near the very bottom of society, maybe even below the Philippine housemaids.]

2 Comments:

Blogger beckita said...

My anselmo- from my sputtering heater and this side of the world I wish your academic evening well - as indeed our lives run parallel for a brief moment - love to you x

5:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Selim - From the parallel universe and blot on the world that is Hargeisa I too feel the cold winter wind. Alas there are no heaters here, no central heating (the idea would just be absurd to the Somalilanders/Somali's-and where would they get them from anyway?)So I wear my thick scarf (that double s up as my veil), cardigan, trousers, long skirts, woolly hat and gloves whilst working, sleeping and breathing. However the lighting is quite something else, kitsch - pink, yellow, flowery and very dull. It creates a kind of seedy, sepia tinted shade to my room and office. Hugs and Somali sunshine Zahra/Sara/Sarita/Sarah xx

9:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This blog including all content and images by Selmo is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 Germany License.