Friday, April 06, 2007

Slain

Something special and beautifully random just happened, but with the kind of randomness that might as well be destiny:

I killed a mosquito.
With a book.
By opening it on a random page and closing it quickly as the damn thing flies off the wall.
It left a thick blood mark in the margin of that page.
My blood. From last night, during which I only slept 3 hours.
The red mark was next to a single word at the beginning of a line.

The book is Khalid Gibran’s “The Prophet”, from which I have quoted before.
And the single word is ‘heart’.

The blood-marked passage reads (and I could hardly believe it):
“When you kill a beast say to him in your heart: ‘By the same power that slays you, I too am slain; and I too shall be consumed.
For the law that delivered you into my hand shall deliver me into a mightier hand. Your blood and my blood is naught but the sap that feeds the tree of heaven.’”

3 Comments:

Blogger beckita said...

That's bloody incredible mate. And I hear you on the tea.

2:17 pm  
Blogger CBMW said...

Anselmo, how I miss you. x

12:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your writing is beautiful

1:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This blog including all content and images by Selmo is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 Germany License.