Saturday, May 19, 2007

Summertime




It's HOT today. 40 degrees celsius minimum.
And if there is a small breeze, it's like someone is waving at you with a giant hair dryer.

On the 15th April, something changed. It took me a few days to fully realise, and it was with the traffic police that I first noticed it. Apart from the fact that the nights were slowly loosing that refreshing coolness (to be replaced by something damped and heavy, not in the least relieving) and that the days were becoming increasingly hot, forcing us to use the aircondition in our office, all uniformed employees of the Ministry of Defence and the Ministry of Interior had switched from Black, green or comouflaged dress to bright and shining WHITE.

The summer had begun.
Officially, in fact.

For me, that means I've been here for over 4 months now - and as somewhat of a 21st century nomad, I can feel an urge that is being woken by an enticing voice deep inside me, whispering into my inner ear "it's time to move on". A dear friend said to me once: "Marisha told me you are someone who gets bored quickly. Is that true?"
'How does Marisha come to this conclusion?' I thought back then... I would find it hard to answer that question now. I always need development, change, opportunity. Maybe I'm not the most patient, too. But I never feel like I'm bored. There's always something to observe.
Four months in Egypt, four months in SEKEM - the global beacon of Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainable Development, my home in Egypt, my new family. Four months between SEKEM and Cairo - today will be the first time that I will move fruther than those 60km between this edge-of-the-desert farm and the 20-Million-people crumbling metropolis booming on the horizon.
I can't remember the last time I've spent 4 months with so little geographic movement. It might well be more than 10 years ago.

(to be continued)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This blog including all content and images by Selmo is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 Germany License.